12/08/2008

DueDates 2.0

Overview

This time I joined a team DueDates-polu, and 4 developers in my group tried our best to enhance DueDates. So far DueDates was a command base application, but now we used web application framework called Wicket.

Process

We used Google code hosting to manage our project. It has functionality for Issues, svn, wiki, and many things we need. Everybody in my team worked well for the project. We split our project into small tasks and tried to set own due time for each tasks.

Communication

The best procedure of software development would be pair programming, however since everybody has different schedule we mostly met only before and after class to discuss our issues, for a few hours. So we often discussed online using Google chat. One thing I found out this time is, Google chat automatically saves what we typed, and we can see it under "Inbox" of G-mail. Since we discuss about our issues, it's very useful that we can take a look at the record anytime.

Development

I think we finished all the requirements. We also tried to enhance it for Extra Credit 2 and 3, which is back-end database and background processing, but we were not able to complete it and we are running out of time. I will try to experiment during winter break.

Software ICU

We also used a tool called Hackystat, and it automatically sends data to server while we work on Eclipse and it shows many aspects of how we are doing for our project. The only issue with that is, sometimes it takes a while that Hackystat sends our data to server. For example, if I worked on (S), it will not show there until (W), I think.

Conclusion

This was one of the most interesting project I did in my ICS courses. I think the reason is that group members help each other and each of them have their own strength. Rather than working alone, this time we could ask. If there is a next opportunity, I want to do more pair programming.

Our project
http://code.google.com/p/duedates-polu/

No comments: