9/08/2008

Lessons learned from Code Ruler

Overview
CodeRuler is a game program from IBM, but it if different from ordinary games because we are able to control our force only with Java code. This program was made for students to let them practice Java. My task is to work with John Ly and beat sample Code Rulers.


My Group Members:
John Ly
Yasu Kaneshige (me)


Source Download:
Source


Results:
Sample RulerGameMy RulerOpponent
Migrate Ruler14775
Migrate Ruler26560
Migrate Ruler356510
Gang Up Ruler163436
Gang Up Ruler2536119
Gang Up Ruler354954
Split Up Ruler144448
Split Up Ruler257177
Split Up Ruler3556108


Lessons Learned:
Working with other team member takes a little more time because we need to discuss everything we have on our mind. However once we do it, we are able to split our work and have more ideas about the program.

For the Eclipse, it was good experience because now I know how to use plugin. I also got used to using its features such as auto format or making projects.

I think CodeRuler is a good program for exercise, because it reminds me basic materials like how to use interface or extend. Also there is infinity number of strategy that we can implement and we should think about what is the best way. It made me write pseudocode, which is also an important step when writing a program.

No comments: