9/01/2008

The Open Source Software Experience


Overview

My task is to evaluate Java-based open source software which is available at "sourceforge.net". I chose an application called "XML Interactive Slide Show", which is a program to generate html and css files for slide show. Users will be able to upload those files and share it with others on the web.

XML Interactive Slide Show
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xiss-web/

Prime Directive 1 - The system successfully accomplishes a useful task.

I tried to make slide show with my own photos, and this program successfully made corresponding html and it worked as slide show. I also tried to experiment with large number of files, so I put 40 pictures and it still worked well.

Prime Directive 2 - An external user can successfully install and use the system.

To download and install this application was simple. To use this application, I need to read documentation a bit, otherwise I do not know how to create slide show. The good aspect of this application is users can customize the result with xml file. However it requires some knowledge of xml, therefore it would be better if users are able to customize using GUI.

Prime Directive 3 - An external developer can successfully understand and enhance the system.

Although there is a large documentation about how to use the software, there is relatively few comments and I did not see instructions of how to compile the source code. If the original developer could include those information, other developers will be able to enhance this software more effectively.

No comments: