10/02/2008

StackOverflow

A programming Q&A site called StackOverflow was released. I like this kind of Q&A site and I have been using such website for a while when I cannot solve problems. Sometimes I get answers in 3 minutes and sometimes I don't get any reply, but it is wonderful that I can get right answer without any fee. I also think it's ok to pay if somebody gives me right information that I really want.

When I opened StackOverflow, the first thing I looked for is category. On this website category is called Tags, which can be found on top. When I clicked on that, many different tags can be found. I'm impressed that it has a lot more tags than other websites have. Minor topics such as regex, jquery, and flex were also there.

Make a post

Then I posted a question to see if I can get answers. Right before I make a post, it showed related questions and I thought it was good idea, since they can prevent overlap. My question is about JavaScript, "Can I pass parameter from different page?".

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/163444/can-i-pass-parameter-from-different-page

Surprisingly, I got a reply in 1 minute and got totally 5 replies in 8 minutes. Their answers are very specific and I got how to do it.

Vote and point system

I looked around the website and thought its voting and point system is interesting. If developers think the question is useful, they vote and we can find useful Q&A more easily. For the point system, developers with more points have more authority on this website. I think this is a good idea, but comment also requires people to have 50 points. This has good and bad aspects. With that they are able to prevent spam, but at the same time people who can comment will be a little limited.

Look around

There are a lot of questions that look interesting such as "How many people disable Javascript?" or "How Should a Non-Designer Interview a Web Designer?", and reading those will be more useful than reading ordinary newspaper.

Conclusion

For now StackOverflow doesn't have any ad posted, but since it is useful I think it is ok to put it in the future. It costs for hosting and maintenance, so it can be covered with that. The most impressed thing about this website is that I get quality responses very fast. It makes me think a lot of developers check this website often, and it is also very important thing for this kind of site. I'm glad that I get to know this website and I will use more to improve my technical skill.

http://stackoverflow.com

No comments: